Sunday, September 20, 2015

38/52: Mini Canyons



Yep, another hiking photo. Which wasn't the plan except then I got all fever-y and ill on Friday and of course I got sick when I actually remembered to grab my camera on the way to manfriend's house. Which is where I spend, like, half of every week. Which is fun, but kinda getting old, too, 'cause it means PACKING EVERY SINGLE WEEK. And no one likes to pack. Even more so, no one likes to unpack. And, don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm packing a suitcase, but still. I mean, I count myself in good shape if I throw extra socks and panties in my purse and grab an extra shirt off the hanger. Or else I'm doing an emergency load of laundry and running back and forth from the laundromat and the apartment in baggy men's pajamas. That's not embarrassing or anything.

Anyway, as this is the only photo I have to share, let me tell you about it. We got some rain last week. (Every time it rains in Southern California, I make the same bad joke: "Does this mean the drought's over?" It gets a chuckle like a quarter of the time.) (I have the sneaking suspicion that some people think I'm serious because no one really knows how much rain we need. Let me be clear: a half an inch AIN'T GONNA CUT IT.)

So, we got some rain last week (which means everyone was three hours late to work because we all go full retard when water starts falling from the sky). The hiking trails are usually "closed for 3 days following rain," but they can't really "close" the trails 'cause, well, there aren't any doors. So, I guess it's an "at your own risk" sort of thing. I risked it. So did lots of people. There was some mud, sure, but the ground is so dry these days, any moisture we get is almost immediately absorbed. The smell of wet, clean earth: amazing. The rain caused mini canyons. (Canyons upon canyons.)

And then it got dark. Even earlier than last week. And, as I was still a mile from my car, a minor freak out ensued. But I survived the darkness to tell you about it, so I'll count that a success. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment