Thursday, December 11, 2008

My favorite things: Vitalicious VitaMuffins

Yeah, try saying that five times fast.

One thing I love about blogging is being able to share my favorite things with others. That's also one of the reasons I read so many blogs. You never know when or where you might find a great recipe, an amazing photography tip, etc.

So, with that being said, I share The VitaMuffins.



Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention they come in a box. Because NONE OF MY STORES CARRY THEM.

I heard about this company, Vitalicious, on a message board a couple years ago. Have I ever told you I used to be fat? Yeah, it was a Weight Watchers message board.

Intrigued, I checked out their website and eventually placed an order. Since then, I've placed many an order for their Deep Chocolate VitaTops. They're the perfect snack and played a major part in me getting to my goal weight. How, you ask?



They're only a hundred calories! They're also all natural, preservative free, low in fat, high in fiber, full of vitamins and other nutritious stuff and, hello?? They're chocolate! (I also realize that, at this point, I sound like an infomercial, but I can't help myself. I've lost all control.)

There is one downfall. Since they're not carried in any of my grocery stores, I have to order them online. Okay, no problem. Except, since I have to order them online and they're free of preservatives and therefore need to be kept frozen, the shipping charges to get them to you quickly are a little, well... high. And suddenly, what used to be somewhat reasonable in price, is now... not.

And then Bossy had to go and throw a Poverty Party and, well, I had to come up with a solution.

That's when I realized they also sell VitaMuffin mix. Nonperishable VitaMuffin mix. Yep, I can make these muffins right at home in my very own oven and for nearly half the cost. (And, if you order in the next ten minutes, we'll double your order! Ugh. Someone please punch me in the face.)

Sure, making them yourself is not quite as convenient as receiving each one individually wrapped and ready to eat, but the cost outweighs the convenience in this case. (At least, that's what The Husband tells me.)

No, seriously, they're great. The first time I made these myself, I baked them, as directed, in little paper cups. Well, I'm not sure if I did something wrong (not likely! I am, after all, perfect), but my muffins stuck to the paper and each time I tried to unwrap one, half the muffin would tear away as well. Then I'd be standing over the trash trying to gnaw off as much chocolate as I could before The Husband walked in and gave me that look again. You know, the one that says I SHOULD PROBABLY CALL SOMEONE NOW.



The second time around, I bit the bullet and greased and floured my baking pan. I used a very minuscule amount of Crisco in each cup, trying to avoid adding any unnecessary calories and they turned out much better.

And what's great? You can use any flavor chocolate chip that you'd like. In this batch, I used butterscotch, which normally I'd find slightly too sweet, but in these muffins, which aren't overly sweet at all, they were fantastic. (And if that's not a run-on sentence, I don't know what is.)



I store them in the freezer and let me just say this. They're great on a hot day right out of the freezer or, in the winter (like right now), warmed up in the microwave or even slightly toasted.

Now, if only I could convince Vitalicious to pay me for the endorsement.

No comments:

Post a Comment