Monday, December 10, 2012

Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan

Not really a review 'cause I don't really say anything nice about it except that it's really, really good.



I have a problem. And, no, this isn't, thank goodness, another post about blogging. (Although it might turn into a post about comma abuse.) (Which can be a serious problem.) No, I have a problem with poorly designed book covers. All that swirly text... and in all caps no less. It's painful to look at. (I'm an e-book reader, hence no covers. Still.)

So, I did something kind of embarrassing and, well, just fixed it a little. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL.



I mean, it's still practically the same! It's just... well, it's better, okay? There. I said it. Of course, one person's "better" is another person's "not so much," but to them I say YOU'RE WRONG.

Anyway, I just finished reading this book. And I wanted to write some sort of something about it, but I just kept getting stuck on all that ugly. (Yeah, the crazy really has taken over.)

This book, though... holy fuck, was it ever hard to read. Entertaining as hell, but painful. Heartbreaking. Gross. Infuriating. And a whole bunch of other adjectives. I should have known better. The reviews all told me how gritty and dark and disturbing it was, but did I listen? Of course not.

And I gotta admit it. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Then again, I'm not easily offended by cursing, name-calling, cheating, rape, etc... in books, that is. Real life? Well, I'm still not offended by the cursing, but those other things? Yeah, I could probably get my panties in quite a twist over most of it. Especially the rape. Yes, rape. (Did I mention this book was painful to read at times?)

It's a love story... just a really fucked up one. And, like, the hero and heroine? They're both totally fucked up, too. And so is their lifestyle. And all their friends. And the whole time you're thinking about how fucked up everyone is! But you can't stop reading 'cause it's just so good.

Dumbest quote of the book that I actually highlighted so I'd remember to share 'cause it made me scoff and roll my eyes: "Watching Deuce orgasm was absolutely beautiful. Aurora Borealis kind of beautiful." To which I say, chick, no man's "o" face is that awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment