Thursday, July 9, 2009

The one where I actually provide something educational.

I received a comment yesterday asking which photography resources or tutorials I could recommend. So, here are some of my favorites:

Digital Photography School
This is a great site. I subscribe to it so I get their awesome articles in my Reader daily, but they also have a public forum that is super fun to browse and participate in. This page in particular has great articles for beginners. Just be careful. If you're at all like me, you'll find yourself looking at the clock, shocked at how much time has passed since you first sat down.

Short Courses
I found this one a long time ago and it finally helped make things like aperture and shutter speed make sense. It offers great diagrams and animation and tips and tricks... and all in easy-to-understand terms.

Kelby Training
This is more Photoshop-specific. And I love this site. It's fantastic because it feels like someone is in the room showing you what to do. The downside is that it comes with a fee. $20 per month. And I realize that now is not the best time to be spending the extra bucks, but even if you can swing it for one month, you will get a lot out of it.

(Of course, I love everything Scott Kelby.)

Also, I Heart Faces has some worthwhile tutorials. And so does PW's photography page.

I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm forgetting, but it's making my brain hurt trying to remember. I hope if anyone else has some sites to share, they'll do so in the comments.

Happy Learning!

7 comments:

  1. GrumbleBotJuly 09, 2009

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelby's books are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so so much! Now I have no excuses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where's the tutorial on how to get an awesome camera for free because yours is a piece of crap but you only have $2 to your name?I need that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank you for this! I feel like I've been inundated with people giving me photography sites and advice but your photos are my favorite so I'm happy to browse your sites and looks track of time while I'm at work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I subscribe to DPS and I have about 40 posts of theirs that I haven't read. I keep on saying I want to wait until I can devote my full attention to reading them, and that time hasn't happened since my kids are out of school for the summer! I do love that site! I also subscribe to http://photocritic.org/ Some of the stuff there is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this! Now if I can just squeeze out some extra time somewhere. Does anyone know where those extra hours are that I put away for a rainy day?

    ReplyDelete